Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Days 18 and 19

I am thankful for cerebral palsy.  I know that sounds weird, because most of the time I hate it and I wish it had never invaded our family.  But, when I really think about what Sadie's disability has done for me, I am thankful.  I have met people who are now part of my life that I cherish, that I never would have had the opportunity to meet otherwise.  I have had opportunities to be part of amazing things, like fundraisers for Phoenix Children's Hospital.

Sometimes it's hard...okay, most of the time it's hard, but because it's hard I appreciate the little things.  I appreciate being able to walk, and talk, and feed myself.  And I appreciate the development of these skills.  You'd better believe when Ezra learns how to do these things we WILL NOT take them for granted (ie. be prepared for lots of silly videos of him saying Mama and walking around the house!)  I appreciate the handicapped parking spot I get.  I appreciate not having to pay co-pays when we take Sadie to the doctor, or when she needs prescriptions or medical equipment.  I appreciate ramps and elevators and sidewalks more than I ever thought I would!!

I think we all have things in our lives that we wish we could change, but it's important that, when you can't change them, you look at them differently.  Be thankful that you/your kids are unique, even if it's because they have a disability.

Second, I am also thankful for Sadie's Cortical Visual Impairment.  Sadie is considered blind.  It's not her eyes that can't see, it's her brain that can't read the information from her eyes, and it qualifies us for services from The Foundation for Blind Children.  Now that I have a typical developing child, I see what we missed out on concerning Sadie's vision.  However, like above, I see what we would have missed out on had her vision been normal.

I have met some of the most caring and wonderful people through FBC.  I have had the opportunity to participate in programs that have helped me grow as a parent.  And now I am thankful that Sadie will get to participate in the preschool program there.

I think we all have things in our lives that we wish we could change, but it's important that, when you can't change them, you look at them differently.  I hope you are thankful that you/your kids are unique, even if it's because they have a disability.

1 comment:

  1. aaaand the final stage of grieving is....ACCEPTANCE! I'm so happy for you, that you are there now. (It took me 4 years, so you are way ahead, haha!) I love your sweet family, Christie! You all have blessed my life by being a part of it and sharing sweet snuggles with your babies with us.
    <3 Nancy and family

    ReplyDelete