Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Days 16 and 17

I am thankful for family.  We don't have a lot of family who is local...just my dad, stepmom, and sister, and they don't even live that close so we don't see them a whole lot.  But, the other day Brian worked late, and my sister came over to visit just after 4:00 and it couldn't have been better timing.  Everything happened all at once, the baby was screaming, Sadie needed to eat, dinner needed to be started, and Ezra's diaper exploded!!  I was so thankful that Elizabeth was there to help...and willing to help!

We usually spend Thanksgiving with our local family too, which is nice.  This year, we'll go over to their house, but we're splitting the cooking and stuff.  I'm excited.  I really like Thanksgiving.  Last year Brian and I were both vegetarian, and it was hard to create an acceptable menu.  This year, only Brian is vegetarian, but I suspect I will be again eventually, so I'm starting a tradition...pumpkin enchildadas.  They are so good, but I've only made them once because they are a lot of work!  Therefore, they are going to become a holiday meal tradition so that those who are vegetarian have a yummy alternative to turkey!  (I'll try to remember to take a picture for you)

I am also thankful for Sesame St.  I know that sounds weird, but honestly, it's been around for a long time and taught so many children so many things.  When I was taking a class for my ELL (English Language Learner) certification, we watched this video about Sesame St. and its mission and how it operates internationally.  Did you know that the Sesame St. in Mexico or Germany or Albania has different characters and different topics than American Sesame St?  They don't just translate it and rebroadcast it!  They design each "branch" of Sesame St. specific to that culture and its needs.  Genius.

Today we went to see Sesame St. Live with Sadie.  She watches a lot of Sesame St. (mostly because that's the show I like to watch!) and we thought she might enjoy the live show.  Before the show she was turning her head and leaning over to the point where we had to really strap her into her wheelchair.  But, as soon as the show started, she was sitting up straight and looking forward.  There was lots of music and I was able to sing along and "play" with Sadie.  And there were a few places where they had a loud firework that would go off and streamers and confetti would come down...she liked this too!  It was a good show, and I think Sadie really enjoyed it (at least I really enjoyed it!).  It was fun to take her.


No comments:

Post a Comment