Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It's a Boy!

At the clinic where we are going for our prenatal care (I say we like Brian is receiving prenatal care also!) there are 3 midwives.  Of course, you never know who will be on call when you go into labor, so we meet with and have appointments with all of them in order to build relationships and so they know me and stuff.  Up until now (and this is our 4th appointment), we've only met one.  Today, we met a second...and I REALLY liked her!  My appointments aren't very exciting, especially since this one was right after the ultrasound, so she didn't need to measure or find the heartbeat or anything, so basically we just talked.  Then, and this is the best part, SHE GAVE ME A HUG!!!

I was telling Brian, sadly, after our last appointment that I missed the hugs from Mary and Nedra at my midwife appointments with Sadie.  They hugged when I came in, hugged when I left, hugs hugs hugs.  I was afraid that since this was more like a doctor's office, that's why I wasn't getting hugs.  But this midwife hugged me and I loved it!!  It really made me feel more at home at this office.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't care about that, you want to know about the ultrasound...although, I gave away the big news in my title!  The ultrasound was uneventful and so cool at the same time.  We got to see the different parts of the baby's brain, and then all 4 ventricles of his heart.  We saw his spine and his skeleton face (check out the second to last picture!)  He looks like Sadie, it's weird how we could see her in his face and his little button nose.  He was moving his hands up close to his face, and I'm wondering if he'll be a thumb sucker.  

He's healthy and measuring 5 or 6 days bigger than his due date. My brother was 10lbs and my nephew was 9.5lbs, this kid may just be a Williams boy!  The ultrasound tech said that's not enough to move my due date up...I told her due dates don't really mean anything anyway because babies come when they come and she sort of rolled her eyes at me! haha  He currently weighs 10 ounces.  My placenta is in the right place and my cervix is nice and long.  We couldn't ask for a better report!!

But, I will admit we were SHOCKED when she showed us that he's a boy!  I was convinced it's a girl and I think I had Brian convinced too.  I'm glad we found out, because it's going to take me the next 4 or 5 months to get used to the idea of having a boy and having boy stuff.  The funny thing is that ALL of our close (and even some not-so-close) friends have boys.  My best friend has 3 boys, my brother just had a boy (they have a girl, Attilie, who is 6 months older than Sadie...guess we're copycats!), my neighbor friend down the street has 2 boys, 2 of my 3 close friends from HS have boys, and the third has a girl who's 8 and a boy who just turned 1.  I'm not buying ANYTHING!  We are going to be drowning in hand-me-downs!!

It's going to be fun to have a big, strong boy, who likely is going to be a strapping young babe based on his weight so far!!  A boy for my dad to throw around and for Brian to rough-house with.  It'll be nice to have a strong young man to help us with Sadie (because you know he's going to be a compassionate kid who has nothing but love for his big sister who can't walk), and to stick up for her at school.  We are going to have so much fun assembling legos and playing laser tag!!  I admit I'm a little sad to say goodbye to the pink dresses and the hair bows and cute little tights.  But having a boy is going to be fun!!  Yay!

The ultrasound tech didn't seem to save the best pictures, but whatever...here they are!!  Enjoy!




This one is my favorite, his little skeleton face.  So weird and alien looking!!

There is seriously a penis inside me RIGHT NOW!!  So weird.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You and your brother are doing what our parents did (accidentally of course!) with cousins of the same sex close together in age ;-) Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I was convinced you were having a girl too! Congrats, boys are so fun and closer to their mommies!!! (I'm sure that's not always true but it sounded good) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations!! you had me cracking with with what you wrote under the last ultrasound pic!! :)

    ReplyDelete