Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bump Watch - 20 weeks

Tuesday night we had our first Family Circle prenatal group meeting.  This is a pretty cool idea.  They group you with 10-12 other women who have a due date similar to yours and you get together in the evenings with your husband/partner and do your prenatal visits (ie. weight check, blood pressure, pee in a cup, meet with the midwife), and then you talk about different things related to pregnancy and birth (ie. natural birthing options, breastfeeding, nutrition, etc).  Then when everybody's babies are born, you come back for one last meeting where you show off your new little ones!!

So Tuesday night was our first meeting.  Most of the conversation we had wasn't new to us since this isn't our first pregnancy, we talked about what you can and cannot eat.  I don't totally agree with some of the things they said you can have/do, but I'm not the official expert who is in medicine, so I just kept my mouth shut.  For me, if there's doubt, just abstain...it's only 9 months after all!!

But the fun part was doing all the vitals and things.  We got to be full participants in our prenatal care.  They taught us how to take our own blood pressure.  I peed in a cup, then dipped the little strip in it that measures my proteins and glucose (Brian thought that part was kind of gross).  We weighed ourselves.  And then when we met with the midwife and she got out the doppler to hear the heartbeat, she had Brian actually do it!  He was a little timid about how hard he needed to push on my belly, he thought he was hurting me.  Then we got to record all these things (oh, and we recorded Daddy's weight) on a log sheet they gave us in our little packet...which I plan on putting the baby book.  It was super fun!

How far along?  20 weeks!  This is officially the halfway point...I hope.

Weight Gain?  I stopped looking again, because I kind of don't care.  But I do want to note that since we had to wait in line to pee in the cup at our Family Circle Meeting, Brian and I did a little experiment.  I weighed before and after pee.  It was fascinating (and I use that term loosely) to find out that I peed 1.2 lbs of pee that night!

What's up with my Body?  I'm trying really hard to stay hydrated, especially since temperatures have been closer to 110 than 100 the last couple of days.  I am supposed to drink about a gallon of water a day.  That's 4 of my Nalgene water bottles.  My goal is to finish one by 10:00am (oops, it's 9:59 and I'm not even close!! *big gulp*), then another by 2:00pm, a third by bedtime, and then I usually drink a half to two thirds of one overnight.  I may not get to 4, but I get to 3.5...and I drink juice and milk and other things throughout the day.  It's amazing how much better I feel when I drink enough water.

I'm starting to feel like I might be getting a little cold.  My throat has been scratchy for the last couple of days and I've been sneezing.  I'm hoping it's just allergies, or that it's the dry hot weather irritating my throat, but I guess we'll see. 

Movement? Brian finally got to feel some movement.  It was only once, and it was little, but he said he felt it.  I feel movement pretty regularly, but I'm still early enough that I can mostly ignore it.

Gender? It's a boy!  You can read about our ultrasound appointment and see pictures if you go to this post here.

I was sort of in mourning that I couldn't paint Sadie's room pink.  It's a long story, but it had to do with both my kids sharing the space and that room not always being Sadie's room, etc.  Brian reassured me that we'd probably keep Sadie in that room for a long time...so go ahead and paint it pink, he told me.  Yay!!

Maternity Clothes: I went and bought a couple of pairs of shorts from the children's clothing second hand store.  I actually found some that fit and look nice.  So, I think I've got what I need at this point.  I mostly wear sweats and a tank top all day anyway.  I mean, I leave the house less than half a dozen times a week...and if people really care about what I look like when I go shopping at Target, then oh well.

What I'm looking forward to:  Finishing the play room.  We (and by we, I mean me and my neighbor Laura) moved my sewing stuff into the master bedroom and almost painted one whole wall the same color as Sadie's therapy table.  I need to finish clearing it out in there, paint the other walls and the baseboards, then I'll be able to move Sadie's table and the ball pit and all the toys back in there.  I'm also considering painting the bookshelf that's in there...

We're also getting Sadie a new bed.  I'm so excited about this because a friend had the exact bed we wanted and she was thinking about selling it.  So, we're getting a good deal.  I'll make sure to post pics of both the playroom and Sadie's room as we finish them (and again, by we I mean me...and maybe the babysitter and/or the neighbor).

Best moment of the week:  Getting Sadie's stander...my best moments are still related to Sadie, not to my pregnancy!!

How baby's growing: My baby is about the length of a banana and he's learning to swallow.  My uterus is about even with my belly button and I'm half way done!!

By the way, all the Mommys at the Family Circle were as big or smaller than me...and I was the "youngest in the group"  Everybody else was in their 20s, me, I was just 19.5.  I am HUGE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment