Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of Special Needs Christmas...with new jammies

We're in Oregon for Christmas. It's been nice to be here and not in my crazy, unpacked house. I hoped this would be a vacation, and so far it is! We had a LONG, but good flight here, and then Sadie had a really good 2 hour car trip from the airport to Grammy's house. We're definitely thankful for that.

Today is Christmas Eve, and I'm really excited about our tradition we started 3 or 4 years ago. We don't have a lot of Christmas traditions (yet), but this is one that I started when we started thinking about having a family, because I thought it would be easy and fun and one that we can share in no matter where we are celebrating Christmas.

Jammie pants.

On Christmas Eve everyone gets to open one gift (see how this can be good for little kids?), a specific gift, one with special Christmas jammie pants (or full pajamas for kiddos). The first year was a little rocky, but it's turned into a fun game to find the silliest, yet comfortable, jammie pants for the other person. And now that we've been doing it for a few years, nobody questions it, it's just expected. So then the idea is that everyone sleeps in their new jammies so that on Christmas morning when you get up and open all your gifts, you'll be in your new jammies!

I love my little tradition that I started, and I'm excited to continue it for many many years. Make sure that when I post Christmas pics later (or on Facebook) you notice all our nice, new jammie pants!

And now I'll leave you with this... (I stole it from another spesh mom on Facebook)

♥ The Twelve Days of a Special Needs Christmas ♥

On the first day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: a child with a disability.

On the second day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: a heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the third day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: an ache in my heart and a heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the fourth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: a tear in my eyes, an ache in my heart and a heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the fifth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in my heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the sixth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: a ray of hope, an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in my heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the seventh day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: a sense of humor, a ray of hope, an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in my heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the eighth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: supportive friends, a sense of humor, a ray of hope, an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in my heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the ninth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: remarkable doctors & therapists, supportive friends, a sense of humor, a ray of hope, an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the tenth day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: an appreciation of small accomplishments, remarkable doctors & therapists, supportive friends, a sense of humor, a ray of hope, an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in my heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, the good Lord gave to me: a sense of pride, an appreciation of small accomplishments, remarkable doctors & therapists, supportive friends, a sense of humor, a ray of hope, an unsuspected strength for the tear in my eyes and the ache in my heart and my heart full of love for my child with a disability.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, the good Lord said to me: Reach out and share your sense of pride, your appreciation of small accomplishments, your remarkable doctors & therapists, your supportive friends, your sense of humor, your ray of hope, your unsuspected strength for the tear in your eyes and the ache in your heart and your heart full of love for your child with a disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment