Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Helping Hand

If you remember, I started the Couch to 5K program back in April? May? I can't remember. Anyway, it all went south when we encountered sleeping problems. You see, where we live it's not uncommon for the temperature in the summer to be well over 100 degrees. Often it's over 110. So, for me to go running it had to be EARLY in the morning when the weather is coolest. And even then it was still in the 80s, that's just about as cool as we get...if we're lucky. So, as you can imagine, if I'd be up with an awake baby for 3 hours in the night and was just thinking about getting back to bed at 4:30 (or sometimes 6:00) there was no possible way I could have gone running at 5:30!

Excuses, excuses, I know. And I'd even bought a fancy new pair of running shoes.

Well recently I've upped the ante. I'm not only shooting for 5K, or even 10K, now I'm looking to run a half marathon. Why? you ask. Because it's for a good cause.

When Sadie was born, she spent her first week of life at the Phoenix Children's Hospital (PCH) in the NICU. We were blessed by this hospital and their staff, and we continue to conduct Sadie's business there. We even drove the extra distance to PCH when Sadie had her overdose (for which we've decided to sue, by the way) because I knew they'd have the best care for a baby, and because I knew they'd be able to find all our information without me having to explain everything. They are so great there. In fact, there are no words to express how great they are.

PCH gives hope where there is none.

PCH works miracles in the lives of children, the faces of our future.

PCH save families.

PCH cares about every little toe and finger of every child in their care.

PCH strives to give the best even to those who can't afford the best.

PCH understands how hard parents work to give their children the best.

PCH goes out of their way to make you feel at home, when they know you are so far from it.

PCH wants to make you smile, even in crisis.

PCH gives hugs for free.

Do I need to go on? I feel like I could do this for pages and pages!

So, here's the deal. Every January Phoenix hosts the PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon. And PCH takes this opportunity to fundraise. I have teamed up with PCH and committed to raising $1500, as well as to run a half marathon on January 16 (3 days before Sadie's first birthday). It's the perfect combination of celebrating Sadie's life as well as giving back to those who allowed her to experience life. But it's going to be a lot of hard work for me. However, as we come down off the hot weather, and as we seem to be getting better at sleeping, I have plain run out of excuses so I'd better get my butt in gear.

All the while, I'd like to ask you for help as well! First of all, pray for me. I know many of you already pray for Sadie, possibly our family, so I'd ask that you add my physical health and motivation to your list. Second, I'd really appreciate it if you'd consider donating to PCH on my behalf, on Sadie's behalf. I've committed to raising $1500 by November 16, and personally, I think I can raise twice as much!! So, please help me reach my goal. Show your appreciation for what they've done for Sadie and what they're doing for hundreds, thousands of other children.

You can click on the button below and it'll take you to my fundraising page where it's safe and secure to give. Give anonymously or put in your name, it doesn't matter, it's not about showing off. But please, support us in any way you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment