Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Adventures in the garden part 2

Another garden post from Brian!

We had one egg plant from our garden. Not enough to make baba ganoush or ratatouille. I couldn't find a good recipe that incorporated a small eggplant so in the spirit of all people who wish-to-eat-this-damn-thing-right-now-no-matter-what I made up a recipe. I started with the eggplant.

I sliced the eggplant and salted it. Dabbed the eggplant dry on a towel while wiping off excess salt.


In order to properly season items I like to use those plastic bags we get at the grocery store to put fruit in. A Tupperware would work too. In this instance it was olive oil, salt, pepper, dried oregano and some dried rosemary. I was going for a mediterranean flavor. Once everything is in the bag, including eggplant, give the thing a healthy shake in order to coat it evenly.
Bake the rounds at 350 flipping occasionally to create an even browning. I might do this again at a higher temp as the planties didn't end up crispy enough for my liking.


At this point the eggplant can be used in a variety of ways and I decided to keep with the theme by inserting them into a whole wheat pita. I added cheese too and then toasted the thing to melt the cheese and crisp up the pita.
Me, working from home, enjoying my lunch that took an hour to create.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, but how did it TASTE? That's the important part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I'll ask the burning question (in my mind at least) - where did you get the urge to cook and create? It certainly WASN'T from me or your dad so you must have gotten it from your grandpa. At least someone in the family inherited it.

    ReplyDelete